Sunday, September 29, 2013

A stranger in the lift... My best Friend...

As I returned from a hectic day at office, my mind was racing to the lack of socialization in our lives. I thought people have become so busy in their regular schedule that it is very hard for anybody to extract some time for some other human. As to the social networking sites, I believe their purpose was to bring people from across the globe closer to each other, not to make us lazy. My thoughts took me back to my childhood when we used to get out of house more often to play with friends. Silly fights and petty comments on each other used to be the most we could muster.


Slowly, MY GLOBAL GYAAN led to introspection and it dawned on to me that I am pretty bad myself in making friends. I started evaluating my friends in my mind to find who is my best friend after all ...... I waited for the lift while lost in my own world and then the lift door opened.
As I entered the lift engrossed in my thoughts, I didn't realize a second person standing behind me. I quickly looked up at him. His face looked so familiar but I couldn't make out when or where have I met this guy?? He politely smiled and nodded at me and I returned the smile as well. We started talking to each other. He started asking questions about me and to my surprise I started replying as well! Now, those who don’t know me, I am an introvert and don’t take part in a conversation with a stranger readily. But this guy was different. He was ever so polite and understanding that I felt like talking to him. The more I replied, the more he asked me about myself. We discussed about my childhood, my family, my friends.. He listened very patiently, nodding where required.. occasionally smiling with me and even got sad with me. I felt so connected to this guy but I DIDN'T EVEN ASK HIS NAME. By the time I reached my floor, he had listened to my entire story with appropriate enthusiasm and I felt so happy and satisfied. 

As my side of the door opened, his side of door opened as well and he turned and moved out as I did the same. Immediately after taking few steps, I realized my mistake and ran back towards the lift. I had found my best friend and I had to ask his name. He could be the one who can truly understand me. I know it doesn't sound very intelligible but I was in no condition to process it in my mind. That “Stranger in the Lift” had got my attention and I wanted him as my friend.


I rushed in and reopened the lift just to realize something.. The lift had mirror in its back wall!! I stepped two steps behind me in disbelief. 



















Slowly it sank into me. That’s why he looked so familiar!! I was thinking something while entering the lift. I saw my own reflection in the mirror. I didn't even speak a word but he was able to understand everything. I narrated my entire story in some seconds and he understood. I realized that my best friend is myself. I smiled at my own stupidity and walked towards my flat…….
Now when I narrate this story to the world, I wanna request each one of you to connect to yourself. It hardly takes a few seconds from your busy day, but you may find your best buddy somewhere. The person who can relate to you.. who will believe you always.. who is always there for you.. And he will be no “Stranger in the mirror”………..


Till the next time ,

Aks-yourreflection. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as i promised u...so here is my comment..."Good Attempt". The rest of the detailed feedback n review...on a phone call...Cheers...keep the good work going...

    ReplyDelete